fuckyeahsports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ATP Madrid Open: Rafael Nadal wins his fifth title since returning from injury

Go down

ATP Madrid Open: Rafael Nadal wins his fifth title since returning from injury Empty ATP Madrid Open: Rafael Nadal wins his fifth title since returning from injury

Post by Devastating Mon May 13, 2013 5:48 pm

Rafael Nadal clinched his third ATP Mutua Madrid Open title thanks to a comfortable straight sets victory against Stanislas Wawrinka, 6-2 6-4.

As the undisputed clay-court king, Nadal came through in just 71 minutes of action on the Caja Magica to record his fifth title in his seventh consecutive final since returning from a knee injury that sidelined him for seven months.

The fifth-ranked Nadal cruised to his 55th career title - his 40th on clay - while extending his head-to-head record against the Swiss to 9-0.

Wawrinka, who was aiming to lift his second successive title having won in Portugal last week, struggled to cope with the Spaniard's power throughout.
Fast pace

The 11-time grand slam winner rolled through the first set, racing into a 4-0 and 5-1 lead at the outset.

He won two of his seven break points while not allowing Wawrinka any chance to hit back, before the Spaniard claimed the set with an ace in just 31 minutes.

Wawrinka, the 15th seed, tried to battle back in the second but again he could not create any break points on the Nadal serve and it was only a matter of time before the home favourite finished things off.

Nadal broke again to go ahead 4-3 before serving out to claim his 23rd Masters Series title.

"The truth is that I am very happy and perhaps this victory is even more special where we have come from," he said afterwards.

"Last season was a difficult season and to play for me was a dream.

"This is the most aggressive I have been in a match.

"I think these have been intense matches in which I have been able to play well and thanks to this excellent crowd it has been easier."
Devastating
Devastating
Admin

https://fuckyeahsports.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down