fuckyeahsports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shell Houston Open: Steve Wheatcroft in front at halfway as big names struggle

Go down

Shell Houston Open: Steve Wheatcroft in front at halfway as big names struggle Empty Shell Houston Open: Steve Wheatcroft in front at halfway as big names struggle

Post by Devastating Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:28 pm

American Steve Wheatcroft is the surprise leader at the halfway mark of the Shell Houston Open at Redstone.

Wheatcroft, who has never led after any round of a PGA Tour event, is in unknown territory after registering his second successive 67 to post a 36-hole total of 10-under.

The 35-year-old only made it into this week's event by coming through a qualifier on Monday but continues to outplay the big names and a bogey-free second round gave him a one-shot lead over compatriots Jason Kokrak (69) and D.A. Points (71).
Asked if he thought he could go on and complete a fairytale win, Wheatcroft said: "Who knows?

"I could shoot 61 tomorrow, I could shoot 71 tomorrow. I really don't know. I'm not going to sit around here and think about it too much.

"I'm going to think about the first tee ball on the first tee and we'll go from there."

England's Brian Davis moved up to tied fourth after a bogey-free 70 and he was joined on seven-under by 2009 Open champion Stewart Cink, whose six-under 66 was the round of the day.

World number two Rory McIlroy will go into the weekend nine shots back after a second-round 70 left him at one-under. Despite it being a three-stroke improvement on his opening round, the 23-year-old revealed afterwards that he would be adding next week's Valero Texas Open to his schedule in a bid to get his game sharp for the Masters.

Phil Mickelson, who won't play next week, is also at one-under after a typically mixed bag 71 which featured five birdies, two bogeys and a double while defending champion Hunter Mahan missed the cut.
Devastating
Devastating
Admin

https://fuckyeahsports.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down