fuckyeahsports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Colin Montgomerie reflects on major misses as he enters World Golf Hall of Fame

Go down

Colin Montgomerie reflects on major misses as he enters World Golf Hall of Fame Empty Colin Montgomerie reflects on major misses as he enters World Golf Hall of Fame

Post by Devastating Tue May 07, 2013 7:13 pm

Colin Montgomerie said he had no regrets - even his failure to win a major - as he gave his World Golf Hall of Fame induction speech.

Monty took to the stage in St. Augustine in Florida on Monday night as part of the Class of 2013 which took the Hall of Fame membership to 146.

The others to be inducted were 1992 US Masters winner Fred Couples, former U.S. Open champion and broadcaster Ken Venturi, former European Tour executive director Ken Schofield and two-time Open champion and architect Willie Park Jr.

Monty won 31 times on the European Tour, collected eight Order of Merits, competed in six winning Ryder Cup teams as well as captaining Europe to victory in 2010, but was always the bridesmaid in the majors.

Looking back on his near misses, Monty reflected on the 2006 U.S. Open at Winged Foot, when he made double bogey from the middle of the 18th fairway and finished one shot behind Geoff Ogilvy.

"That's the one that hurts," said the Scot, who also lost the 1994 U.S. Open and the 1995 PGA Championship in play-offs and was runner-up to Ernie Els in the 1997 U.S. Open at Congressional.

"I've enjoyed thoroughly my exploits in major championships. I just haven't been fortunate, or whatever it takes," added Monty. "I've never, ever stood up and made a winner's speech and said I was unlucky. Never. I never will.

"There's always a time where a bit of fortune comes your way, whether it be for you or against your opponent at the time, and it just so happens that I just haven't been so-called fortunate to walk through the door. The door has been ajar many a time. I just haven't been able to walk through it.

"So at the same time, if you're talking about regrets of any part of my golfing career, I have none. Absolutely none. I've done exactly what I've tried to do. I've tried 100 percent on every shot, and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't."

Couples, meanwhile, was overcome with emotion at the end of the night.

"Thanks for taking a kid from Seattle and putting him in the Hall of Fame. This is the coolest night of my life," he said, chin wobbling.
Devastating
Devastating
Admin

https://fuckyeahsports.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down