fuckyeahsports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Teenager Tianlang Guan docked a shot for slow play in second round of Masters

Go down

Teenager Tianlang Guan docked a shot for slow play in second round of Masters Empty Teenager Tianlang Guan docked a shot for slow play in second round of Masters

Post by Devastating Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:15 pm

Chinese schoolboy Tianlang Guan made the cut at The Masters despite being handed a one-shot penalty for slow play towards the end of his second round.

It appeared that the 14-year-old sensation had finished on three over after making a brave par at the last, but it then emerged he had been docked a stroke on the 17th.

European Tour chief referee John Paramor warned the youngster on the 12th tee that he was being put on the clock, and another warning was issued on 16 before he received his penalty on 17 that turned a par into a bogey.

The resulting three-over 75 left him at four over par for the tournament, which got him in for the weekend right on the number.
The bogey at 17 was his only blemish on the back nine as he surpassed playing partner Matteo Manassero as the youngest player in Masters history to make the weekend.

Guan dropped shots at the fourth and seventh to turn in 38 in the worst of the weather, but he came through Amen Corner unscathed and continued to reel off the pars until officialdom intervened.

To his great credit, the teenager was dignified and restrained when interviewed on Sky Sports.

He said: "The weather is not that good today, we got some rain early in the round and the wind switched a lot. It blows hard. I just had to make a decision, I switched my club and unfortunately it was my second bad time.
"I respect the decision they made and it's what they can do. I know the rules pretty good. It did effect me a little bit on the putt on the 17th and I didn't make it. But on the 18th I did pretty good to save the par.

"I really enjoyed this week so far. I hit some good shots today and learnt a lot. I think it is great. It's still okay."

Tournament organisers confirmed Guan had "exceeded the 40 second time limit by a considerable margin".

But Sky Sports pundit Colin Montgomerie was highly critical of the decision, saying: "It surprises me it's been done to the weakest and easiest target out here and I must admit common sense did not prevail in that action."
Devastating
Devastating
Admin

https://fuckyeahsports.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down