fuckyeahsports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spain midfielder Santi Cazorla plays down concerns over team form

Go down

Spain midfielder Santi Cazorla plays down concerns over team form Empty Spain midfielder Santi Cazorla plays down concerns over team form

Post by Devastating Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:45 am

Spain midfielder Santi Cazorla insists his team remain a force to be reckoned with despite jittery form in their World Cup qualifying campaign.

Vicente del Bosque's outfit stumbled to a 1-1 draw at home to Finland on Friday and next face a daunting trip to France on Tuesday.

Defeat against the Group I leaders in Paris would stretch the gap at the top to five points, with the world and European champions in danger of dealing with an agonising play-off to reach the 2014 finals in Brazil.

But Arsenal playmaker Cazorla is staying cool amidst the growing criticism coming out of his homeland, saying: "It doesn't make any sense to now doubt this team just because of a draw.

"You cannot speak of the end of an era, the team has hunger and wants to keep winning titles. In the last game we lacked some things, we need to have more variation.

"We need to ensure that all the possession the team have is transformed into chances."

With three games remaining after the French clash, Spain will be desperate for victory, hoping to avoid the drama of a play-off in November.

"The problem is that we have less margin for error, but we always go out to win," Cazorla added.

"We know we will have to play a great game against a good team who are in form. It is true that we have committed errors that have cost us four points, but this happens in football and we need to win in France and recapture first place."

A growing injury list is also causing Del Bosque a headache, with the news that Jordi Alba has been ruled out because of a hamstring problem suffered against Finland.

However, Cazorla's Arsenal club-mate Nacho Monreal said he is ready to take his chance if selected to replace Alba in the Stade de France.

"It is a very important game. Jordi's injury on the face of it opens the door for me, although we don't yet know who is going to play," Monreal said.

"If I have my opportunity, I will try to give my best because we are playing for a lot in this game."

David Silva is suspended after being booked in the closing stages against Finland, but Del Bosque is hopeful of having both Xabi Alonso and Xavi back fit after both missed Friday night's game.
Devastating
Devastating
Admin

https://fuckyeahsports.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down