fuckyeahsports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rockhold has plan for Belfort

Go down

Rockhold has plan for Belfort Empty Rockhold has plan for Belfort

Post by Devastating Sat May 18, 2013 9:29 pm

Only when Luke Rockhold makes that long walk to the Octagon for the first time on Saturday night will he truly realise the enormity of the task at hand.

Debuts seldom come more daunting than fighting the iconic Vitor Belfort in front of a baying mob of his Brazilian fans, but that is how Rockhold's Ultimate Fighting Championship career will begin at UFC on FX 8 in Jaragua do Sul this weekend.

"Octagon jitters" have affected numerous fighters who have enjoyed careers outside of the UFC but found the step up in competition too hard to handle - but none have been presented with the challenge (and opportunity) that Rockhold has.

The 28-year-old was the last ever Strikeforce middleweight champion before the organisation disbanded meaning he could be fast-tracked into a title shot if he can get past wily veteran Belfort.

But Rockhold has never fought anyone of Belfort's calibre - the 36-year-old is born-again in his career as well as his Christianity.

A fourth consecutive win on Brazilian soil would make it difficult to ignore Belfort's championship aspirations despite his recent losses in middleweight and light-heavyweight title bouts.

His controversial use of testosterone replacement therapy seems to be aiding a late revival and his ability to fly out of the blocks remain one of the sports' scariest sights - his 10 first round finishes represent an all-time record.

"That first round with Vitor is hell," confessed Rockhold to UFC.com. "He's going to come out explosively and you have to tame the beast.

"I'm looking to keep my distance and then close the distance when it's time - wear him out, get some blood in his arms and then have my way."

Belfort's description of himself as a dinosaur doesn't mean he is nearing extinction though - he told the pre-fight press conference that he's "focused on being the only T-Rex in the jungle."

Confident that two decades of experience can overcome a younger evolution of himself, Belfort vowed: "I've crushed all the grapes and now it's time to drink the wine."

Ultimately even Tyrannosaurus Rex met its demise but Belfort will have Brazil's support as he hangs on to the baton that Rockhold is coming to snatch for the next generation.
Devastating
Devastating
Admin

https://fuckyeahsports.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down