fuckyeahsports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England's Joe Root remains optimistic despite New Zealand fightback

Go down

England's Joe Root remains optimistic despite New Zealand fightback Empty England's Joe Root remains optimistic despite New Zealand fightback

Post by Devastating Sun May 19, 2013 5:22 pm

Joe Root remains optimistic despite England allowing New Zealand back into contention in the first Test at Lords.

After bowling out the tourists for 207 to claim a lead of 25, the home side were cruising with Root and Jonathan Trott putting on 123 for the third wicket.

However, Tim Southee sparked a mini-collapse by bowling Root for 71 before also claiming the wicket of Jonny Bairstow and Matt Prior as England closed on 180 for six.

Ian Bell and Steven Finn will continue at the crease for England on day four.

Root told Sky Sports 2: "I was very disappointed not to kick on and after giving them a sniff tonight, we're quite down about it. But we have an opportunity to get going tomorrow, Belly battling for us with Finny, hopefully we can get a few more on the board.

"It's quite a slow pitch and you've got to really work hard to start with and get going really.

"I felt all right, you just look to play on instinct and I was lucky to get a few balls in nice scoring areas and just try to make the most of it."

Root's place in the batting order is always the subject of speculation, with the 22-year-old opening for Yorkshire but coming in in the middle order for England.

He added: "I don't mind it, really. I just enjoy playing and to get the opportunity to represent your country is fantastic and whether that means batting middle order or opening, it doesn't really bother me."
Devastating
Devastating
Admin

https://fuckyeahsports.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down