fuckyeahsports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tom Daley returns to competition next weekend at the World Series in Edinburgh

Go down

Tom Daley returns to competition next weekend at the World Series in Edinburgh Empty Tom Daley returns to competition next weekend at the World Series in Edinburgh

Post by Devastating Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:34 pm

Tom Daley returns to senior international competition for the first time since diving at the London Olympics after admitting he found it hard to see past the 2012 Games.

In an epic 10-metre platform final, the 18-year-old clinched Olympic bronze at the Aquatics Centre in August, having already captured world, European and Commonwealth titles.

But the Team GB poster boy has admitted he lost his desire for the sport having focused on the London Games for so long.

"It's extremely tough to go all my life working towards the London Olympics and then it was over," he said.

"I didn't really see past it. I don't think anything is ever going to live up to that in my career to be honest.

"Once it was gone it was really tough to get back in the pool.

"I only had two weeks off after the Olympics and I was back in training for the World Youth Championships.

"It was hard to think 'I've got to work towards Rio now'. It is so far away."

Whilst taking a break from diving Daley co-presented ITV show Splash!, but he maintains his hunger for diving is back as he returns to competition at next weekend's World Series event in Edinburgh.

"It's been really good. I've been able to enjoy lots of different things," he said.

"The year after the Olympic year out of the whole four-year cycle in blatant terms is the least important.

"It has been fun just to let my hair down for a bit.

"I spent time with family and friends and we went on a holiday to Spain and had fun.

"On a Wednesday each month I also now go to a cooking class with fellow divers Tonia (Couch) and Sarah (Barrow). I love cooking. I recently moved out, so I've had to learn how to cook.

"But there is the World Championships coming up in July so there is that importance and for me training and diving is always the main priority and diving. Things like Splash! came along and was a great opportunity for me.

"But when all that is done I know the next thing for me to do is win an Olympic gold medal. Overall that is the driving factor.

"That's what I'm pushing for. It's the last thing I can go for to out-achieve what I have already done."
Devastating
Devastating
Admin

https://fuckyeahsports.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down