fuckyeahsports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sonnen: Title shots earn me

Go down

Sonnen: Title shots earn me Empty Sonnen: Title shots earn me

Post by Devastating Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:33 pm

People love personalities, drama and backstories in the fight business and April 27's UFC 159 features two of the biggest names around.

The self-proclaimed bad-guy Chael Sonnen fights for the light-heavyweight championship belonging to golden-boy Jon "Bones" Jones.

Logically the fight makes little sense. Sonnen isn't a 205-pound fighter and after losing two middleweight title fights to Anderson Silva will now share the cage with the champion of the higher weight division. But big names get big fights.

In September, Jones wouldn't fight Sonnen at short-notice after Dan Henderson dropped out, leading to a public war of words that heightened the public's desire to see this fight.

One reason to dislike Sonnen is due to his aggresive, over-the-top trash talking. However, this has made the "American Gangster" a marquee attraction and people cheer his name during his fights as a result.

Conversely, Jones has struggled to cement fans despite a global Nike deal and outstanding natural talent.

An arrest for crashing a Bentley whilst drunk was an inaccurate public portrayal of the "brat" that Sonnen labelled him.

After six weeks coaching The Ultimate Fighter 17, the 25-year-old champion is heavy favourite to end his veteran challenger's relevance.

Jones has six submission victories whilst Sonnen has submitted eight times, and despite the former middleweight's world-class wrestling the odds are stacked against him.

Jones can equal the record for five light-heavyweight title defences with a victory that would subsequently nudge the 36-year-old challenger towards retirement.

On Monday's promotional conference call, Sonnen defended his opportunity in the only way he knows how: "Title shots earn me. I don't go after main events, main events go after me. Whether I earned or not or if I deserve it, I take what I want and that's it.

"Jones could beat Muhammad Ali and Mike Tyson at the same time. News flash buddy, you are the best."

The serene champion acknowledged the pre-fight hype talk, saying: "No matter what I say in a fight, what my opponent says, how much my opponent is in my head, come fight night it's relaxation, it's beauty, it's peace. Martial arts is what I was born to do."

Ultimately, nobody can bring reputations into the Octagon. Personalities get you so far but people pay their money to see a scrap and this Saturday, when the talking ends, two fighters will lace their gloves.
Devastating
Devastating
Admin

https://fuckyeahsports.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down