fuckyeahsports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Yankees on verge of acquiring Wells from Angels

Go down

Yankees on verge of acquiring Wells from Angels Empty Yankees on verge of acquiring Wells from Angels

Post by Devastating Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:19 am

The Yankees may not have seen much of Vernon Wells over the last few seasons, but as they eye an Opening Day lineup that suddenly seems lacking in star power, they're ready to give him much more of a look.

The Yankees and Angels are closing in on a deal that will fit the 34-year-old outfielder for pinstripes, sources have confirmed to MLB.com, and the trade could be completed on Monday pending approval from the Commissioner's Office because of the amount of money involved.

The transaction will involve the Angels taking on a majority of the $42 million Wells is owed through the 2014 season, which is a matter still under discussion between the clubs.

Multiple reports have indicated that the Yankees' share of the contract will be approximately $13 million over the next two seasons. The Yankees have some extra money to spend because Mark Teixeira's salary -- about $6 million if Teixeira returns in mid-May -- is being covered by insurance from the World Baseball Classic while he is on the disabled list.

The Yankees are expected to send a low-level Minor League player to the Angels in exchange for Wells.

"I'm not at liberty to have any conversations publicly about it yet, but I know what you're asking," Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said on Sunday. "There's a lot of I's to dot and T's to cross to get to a finish line when you're doing something."

Angels general manager Jerry Dipoto confirmed that the two sides are talking, but declined to go into detail. Wells himself referenced the talks on Twitter, writing late Sunday night, "Thankful and blessed! #Pinstripes"

Wells has a full no-trade clause, but was coming into the season as the Angels' fifth outfielder behind Mike Trout, Peter Bourjos, Josh Hamilton and designated hitter Mark Trumbo.

He grinned and said, "Possibly," when reporters in Tempe, Ariz., asked him if he had approved a trade.

"It'd be a huge change," Wells said of joining the Yankees. "I don't think it's ever easy saying goodbye, but at the same time, if this were to happen, it's a good group of guys over there. I'll just get to know a new family."

The Yankees suddenly find themselves in a position to offer Wells a healthy number of at-bats, at least early in the upcoming season. Curtis Granderson is not expected to play until early May because of a fractured right forearm, and the Yankees have been looking for a right-handed outfield bat for some time.
Devastating
Devastating
Admin

https://fuckyeahsports.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down