fuckyeahsports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Premier League: Wes Newton won his relegation battle against Gary Anderson

Go down

Premier League: Wes Newton won his relegation battle against Gary Anderson Empty Premier League: Wes Newton won his relegation battle against Gary Anderson

Post by Devastating Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:13 pm

Wes Newton silenced the Glasgow faithful by beating Scotland's Gary Anderson 7-5 in their Premier League clash on Thursday.

In an important match for relegation-threatened Newton, the Fleetwood flinger fought back from 5-4 down to rattle off the last three legs.

Newton started brightly, bagging the first two sessions with Anderson a woeful 0-15 at doubles even at such an early stage.

However, he pulled one back when finally nailing double five and then he levelled before hitting a third 180 of the match.

Tops put the local hero ahead for the first time before Newton, who would have been relegated in defeat, checked out 132 to level.

Anderson went ahead again but Newton levelled once more with an 84 checkout before the Scot followed suit in the next, hitting the bull.

But when Anderson missed a dart at tops Newton rallied with a 120 out shot and quickly took the next two to earn the win and draw level at the bottom of the table with his vanquished opponent, on five points.

"I rode my luck a bit tonight," said Newton. "Gary scored well but he didn't finish well and he let me in and I took my chances.

"I'll take the two points because I've lost games which I should have won this season and I'm still in the hunt - it's all to play for next week now!"

In the final match of the night James Wade defeated Michael Van Gerwen 7-4. The 'Machine' broke in the third leg and then consolidated with a checkout of 134.

Wade went 4-1 up after Van Gerwen missed a double but he broke back and then nailed tops to get within one of his opponent.

But Wade stepped it up and broke again before securing at least a point, and although Van Gerwen kept his hopes alive by winning the 10th leg the Englishman closed it out with a stylish 130 run in the next.

The win means both players are on 10 points alongside Phil Taylor and Raymond van Barneveld - Taylor beating the Dutchman earlier in the night.

"It was a good win for me," said Wade. "Everyone knows the form that Michael's been in but mine has been picking up and nobody scares me.

"I'm putting the work in this year and it's showing in my performances. This game is all about finishing and that's been my strength again."
Devastating
Devastating
Admin

https://fuckyeahsports.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down