fuckyeahsports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Zurich Classic: Billy Horschel wins maiden PGA Tour title after last-gasp birdie

Go down

Zurich Classic: Billy Horschel wins maiden PGA Tour title after last-gasp birdie Empty Zurich Classic: Billy Horschel wins maiden PGA Tour title after last-gasp birdie

Post by Devastating Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:43 pm

Billy Horschel rolled in a magnificent 27-foot birdie putt on the final hole to clinch his maiden PGA Tour title by one shot after a nerve-jangling final round at the Zurich Classic of New Orleans.

The 26-year-old from Florida finished one shot in front of playing partner DA Points, who also birdied the last, after a sublime eight-under-par final round of 64 to finish on 20-under for the tournament.

After being in great form in recent weeks, Horschel's round included six straight birdies either side of the turn - the longest streak of birdies so far on the Tour this season.
To get over the line though, Horschel had to overcome an excruciating weather delay on his very last hole, when the horn sounded to stop play just as he was about to play his second shot on the par-five 18th.

A three-hour delay had already struck the tournament but this second stoppage came at a crucial time and Horschel, who stood on the last with just a one-shot lead, had to go a stew in the clubhouse for around half an hour as he was within touching distance of his first PGA Tour title.

When play resumed, Horschel hit his wedge short of the flag and it spun back to around 27 feet, while Points, who went toe-to-toe with Horschel all day, stuck his third to around six foot meaning an almost certain birdie.

Horschel stepped up and drained his putt though to spark an emotional celebration for a man who was determined to finally break his PGA Tour duck.

"It's something I've worked so hard for, there are so many people I need to thank but they know who they are," Horschel said after his final round.

"For that putt to go in, wow, I hadn't made a long one all week. I said I was due for a long one - it came off the putter so good and I'm so happy it went in."

Horschel finished with nine birdies and one bogey in his round, while Points had a bogey-free round of 65 which included four consecutive birdies himself as he seemed spurred on by Horschel's form.

Kyle Stanley finished a further two shots back on 17-under, with Bobby Gates and overnight leader Lucas Glover, who could only manage a final round of 71, another couple back on 15-under.

Nicolas Colsaerts enjoyed his best round of the tournament with a 67 giving him a top ten finish on 13-under, the same as Jimmy Walker who had threatened after an eagle-birdie combination on seven and eight, but his challenge then fell away.

Horschel's maiden win kept up a recent tradition at TPC Louisiana as five of the last eight winners of the event had been maiden successes.
Devastating
Devastating
Admin

https://fuckyeahsports.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down