fuckyeahsports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sailing: Sir Ben Ainslie pays tribute to Olympic team-mate Andrew Simpson

Go down

Sailing: Sir Ben Ainslie pays tribute to Olympic team-mate Andrew Simpson Empty Sailing: Sir Ben Ainslie pays tribute to Olympic team-mate Andrew Simpson

Post by Devastating Sat May 11, 2013 5:30 pm

Four-time Olympic champion Sir Ben Ainslie has paid tribute to team-mate Andrew Simpson, who died while training for the America's Cup on Thursday.

Simpson died after being trapped under his AC72 catamaran when it nosedived, capsized and broke into pieces in San Francisco Bay.

The 36-year-old recently turned his attention to the America's Cup - a trophy he admitted before London 2012 was his biggest goal - and he had been working as a strategist for Swedish team Artemis Racing in a bid to achieve his dream.

Ainslie is also involved in the America's Cup as helmsman for the defending champions Oracle Team USA, and he released a statement about his friend on Friday night on his official website.

He said: "This is such a tragedy.

"Andrew was such a wonderful husband, father, friend and one of the nicest people you would ever meet.

"The only solace I can find is that he died doing something which he loved.

"I have such fond memories of growing up sailing together as kids and then as

adults. I will miss him so much.

"My thoughts and prayers are with Leah, their two boys and their family."
Devastating
Devastating
Admin

https://fuckyeahsports.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down