fuckyeahsports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WTA Portugal Open: Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova fights back to reach final

Go down

WTA Portugal Open: Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova fights back to reach final Empty WTA Portugal Open: Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova fights back to reach final

Post by Devastating Sat May 04, 2013 3:45 am

Third seed Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova showed tremendous fighting spirit to overcome unseeded Romina Oprandi and set up a WTA Portugal Open final against Carla Suarez Navarro.

The 19th-ranked Russian was whitewashed in the opening set by the 53rd ranked veteran, who had beaten former French and US Open winner Svetlana Kuznetsova in the last-eight.

But Pavlyuchenkova, 21, showed excellent composure to take the next two sets 6-3, 6-1 at the Estadio Naciona and reach the final.

"I'm not completely happy with my game, especially with how I started today," said Pavlyuchenkova, who will play her first career final on clay after winning four on hardcourt, including Monterrey three times.

"But I have some positives in that I won the match."

She will now bid to win her second trophy this season after Monterrey when she plays fourth seed and 2012 finalist Suarez Navarro.

The Spanish 23rd-ranked player beat Estonian defending champion Kaia Kanepi 6-4 6-1 in 66 minutes to reach Saturday's final.

Suarez Navarro benefitted from seven double-faults off her opponent and afterwards, she said: "It's great to be in my second final here, it was a good match for me today.

"I did have last year's final in my mind. She started strong and I was a bit nervous. I served well and kept my intensity in the important moments."
Devastating
Devastating
Admin

https://fuckyeahsports.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down