fuckyeahsports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ricky Burns to defend WBO lightweight title against mandatory challenger Jose Gonzalez

Go down

Ricky Burns to defend WBO lightweight title against mandatory challenger Jose Gonzalez Empty Ricky Burns to defend WBO lightweight title against mandatory challenger Jose Gonzalez

Post by Devastating Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:18 am

Ricky Burns will defend his WBO lightweight title against mandatory challenger Jose Gonzalez on May 11 in Glasgow.
The WBO had given the Coatbridge champion a deadline of March 19 to select an opponent after several 'failed opportunities' - and new promoter Eddie Hearn has quickly lined up unbeaten Puerto Rican Gonzalez.

"I'm really looking forward to May 11," said Burns in confirming the bout. "He's a big puncher with a great KO record, but I've been in with big punchers before and that doesn't worry me in the slightest.

"It's great to have the date and name sorted now so I can just focus on getting myself in great shape for a big night in Glasgow."
Gonzalez said: "I'm very glad for this opportunity and it's a dream come true fighting for the world title as the mandatory challenge. I'm not worried about fighting in Burns' homeland. I'm preparing greatly for this fight and I'm sure I will bring the World title to my country."

Hearn, who added Burns to his Matchroom Sport roster after the Scot announced his split from Frank Warren, was equally enthused.

He said: "It's been a tough few days and we've had plenty of obstacles to overcome, but I'm delighted to bring Jose Gonzalez to Glasgow for what I feel will be the beginning of a new era for Scottish boxing.

"Gonzalez is ranked number one in the world, undefeated and comes with a dangerous reputation. It's imperative that we deal with our mandatory challenger to pave the way for big unification clashes but I believe Ricky will face his toughest test yet on May 11.

"We need the support of all the Scottish people as we begin a new journey and cannot wait to raise the roof of the stunning new Emirates Arena."
Devastating
Devastating
Admin

https://fuckyeahsports.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down