fuckyeahsports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jose Gonzalez has the full attention of Ricky Burns ahead of their Glasgow bout

Go down

Jose Gonzalez has the full attention of Ricky Burns ahead of their Glasgow bout Empty Jose Gonzalez has the full attention of Ricky Burns ahead of their Glasgow bout

Post by Devastating Fri May 03, 2013 5:43 pm

Ricky Burns says there is no way the possibility of big money fights in the future will distract him from his upcoming clash with Puerto Rico's Jose Gonzalez.

WBO world lightweight champion Burns will try to successfully defend his title for the third time against the powerful Gonzalez at Glasgow's Emirates Arena on 11 May.

And possible money-spinning unification bouts against WBC champion Adrien Broner or IBF king Miguel Vazquez could await a victorious Burns, who has joined Eddie Hearn's Matchroom Sport promotions company.

But the 30-year-old Scot said: "There is talk of unification fights and I know Eddie is keen to build my profile back up in Scotland, and bring the big names over to Glasgow.

"But I need to win on May 11 to keep those alive, I always say it's one fight at a time. I never look beyond anyone, Gonzalez has got my full attention for now.

"It's going to be a tough fight. He's got 22 wins, 17 by way of knock out, so his record speaks for itself.

"I know whatever happens on the night, I'm going to be prepared for it. The training and the sparring has gone well, so whatever happens will happen.

"The best man will win on the night and I'm confident I've done all I can to prepare properly, so hopefully I'll go out there and get the win."
Audacious plans

Hearn added: "We have got some audacious plans for Ricky but they don't mean anything if he slips up against Gonzalez.

"Gonzalez is a huge puncher, so Ricky has to be on the ball.

"Ricky has achieved a hell of a lot in the sport already but the bottom line is that he has to win next week.

"All the talk of Vazquez and Broner and unification fights mean nothing if we can't get past Gonzalez. We want these bigger fights but first things first.

"And Ricky has to look good doing it. This will be shown all over the world, so he has to do the business."

Regarding future plans for Burns, the promoter added: "If the package is right and the fight is right, Ricky won't have a problem going to the States.

"But, in the meantime, there is no reason why he can't stay in Scotland for the next two or even three fights.

"When you can sell seven or eight thousand tickets and create an atmosphere like Ricky can, why would you want to go anywhere else?"
Devastating
Devastating
Admin

https://fuckyeahsports.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down