fuckyeahsports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

European Darts Trophy: Wes Newton beats Paul Nicholson in Germany final

Go down

European Darts Trophy: Wes Newton beats Paul Nicholson in Germany final Empty European Darts Trophy: Wes Newton beats Paul Nicholson in Germany final

Post by Devastating Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:04 pm

Wes Newton landed the European Darts Trophy after edging out Paul Nicholson 6-5 in a thrilling final at the Glaspalast in Sindelfingen.

'The Warrior' put his disappointing Premier League form to one side in Germany, overcoming Austria's Mensur Suljovic 6-4 in the semis before squeezing past Nicholson in the final.

'The Asset' had progressed to the final after a stunning 6-2 win over Michael van Gerwen in the last four, but missed two darts for the title before Newton finally prevailed.

Newton kicked off the final with fantastic finishes of 100 and 116 before Nicholson hit back to level.

Newton finished 104 to move 3-2 up before missing a vital double 12 to repeat the finish in leg six, Nicholson squared the game and then followed a big 180 with double 16 for a 14-darter to lead the contest for the first time.

The game took a twist in the eighth leg when Nicholson opened with scores of 140 and 180 but then missed nine darts at doubles in four seperate visits as Newton fired back to level the game at four apiece.

Newton then went 5-4 up with the aid of an 80 finish, but missed a double 14 as Nicholson forced the decider with a big double ten.

Both players threw 180s in the final leg leaving them both on 161 after nine darts.

Newton missed double 16 but Nicholson missed double 12 and double six that would have given him victory. The slip allowed Newton a lifeline and he took his chance as he landed double four to claim the title.

"It's the best win of my career," admitted Newton. "I'm over the moon and it means the world to me to win this title.

"I thought I'd thrown it away at the end and maybe Paul should have been lifting the trophy. I missed one dart in the tenth leg to take the win and then another in the last leg and thought my chance had gone, but the luck was shining down on me.

"To come here and win this tournament means everything and it's a huge boost for me ahead of Thursday and the Judgement Night in the Premier League."

"It's a very big week for me and there's a few scenarios which could happen in the Premier League on Thursday, but I've got to go up there and win my game against Andy Hamilton and that's what I'll focus on this Thursday."

Newton added: "Paul's had a tough couple of months but he's back where he should be now and he'll probably be disappointed because he had three darts to win it and probably should have won it. It's great to see him playing well again."

Nicholson revealed he had considered withdrawing from the event last week after being struck down by a bout of gastroenteritis, but said: "I'm so glad that I came to Germany.

"It's been a bit of a rollercoaster ride this weekend but I set myself a goal when I came here and I put myself within touching distance of that.

"I'm very proud of myself but I'm feeling gutted right now because I had a shot to win the tournament, but I feel that this can kick-start my year now."
Devastating
Devastating
Admin

https://fuckyeahsports.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down