fuckyeahsports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ATP Portugal Open: Stanislas Wawrinka upsets David Ferrer

Go down

ATP Portugal Open: Stanislas Wawrinka upsets David Ferrer Empty ATP Portugal Open: Stanislas Wawrinka upsets David Ferrer

Post by Devastating Mon May 06, 2013 4:31 pm

Stanislas Wawrinka won his first title for two years when he upset top seed David Ferrer to win the Portugal Open.

The Swiss claimed his fourth career trophy, three of which have now come on clay, after a comprehensive 6-1 6-4 win in just 64 minutes.

Fourth-ranked Ferrer was burdened by 31 unforced errors and conceded serve three times, while never facing a break point on his own serve.

The Spaniard had hoped to boost his ranking points over fifth-placed Rafa Nadal with the forthcoming French Open draw in mind and will need to go deep into the draw at events in Rome and Madrid to stave off his compatriot.

"It was the perfect match for me," said Wawrinka, whose textbook backhand served him well on a sunny afternoon. "It's so tough to play David, he's a big champion."

Wawrinka used his most lethal stroke to best advantage in the opening set, where Ferrer did not even make the scoreboard until the 25th minute of a 29-minute opener.

The second set was more of a duel but Wawrinka secured another break for 5-4 and duly served out the victory.

"Stan played a great match, he deserved to win," said Ferrer, who had beaten Wawrinka in February for the Buenos Aires title. "There have been a lot of Spanish champions here and I wish I could have been one of them.

"But I still had a good week, especially after coming in on the wild card. It was all positive. I had hoped to win but I still made the final and got matches on the clay."
Devastating
Devastating
Admin

https://fuckyeahsports.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down